Last month I decided to try making gluten free blueberry scones for my family. The recipe I found was such that when I put it all together, it was more of a bread batter. So by adding more brown sugar and baking in bread pans, we ended up with a great gluten free breakfast blueberry scone bread.
My family enjoyed it so much; I ended up making extra loaves to give away to family for Christmas. We continue to get great feedback on this recipe.
Many of my gluten free recipes lately have been made with Namaste’s Perfect Flour Blend gluten free baking flour mix. We have been able to get quite a bit of it at our Costco. We have also seen it on Ebay or at your local natural food store. If you can’t get it, you can try using a custom mix such as the ones linked below.
Here is the recipe for my blueberry scone bread.
- 2 cups Namaste Perfect Flour Blend
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (add at end if frozen)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut butter into mixture of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add blueberries and toss to mix.
- In separate bowl beat together cream and egg, and slowly pour into dry ingredients, stirring with rubber scraper until dough forms. Knead just until it comes together, 3 or 4 times. Don’t over handle.
- Pour into greased bread pan(s).
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I eventually did make blueberry scones. I will post that recipe at a later date.